Thursday, May 26, 2011

Your Legacy-A Message of Hope

Yesterday was Oprah's final episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show". I was not able to watch the show as meteorologist took over my television. There were multiple tornadic wall clouds throughout St. Louis (they dispersed, Glory to God!) so in order to watch the show, I had to watch the 3am replay. I'm not much of a sleeper so this was fine with me.

What I liked....no. What I loved about the final episode was that she gave glory to Jesus. Many people say God but shy away from the name Jesus. It was refreshing to hear her say that. I also enjoyed her teaching life lessons. She spoke on many lessons that inspired a sense of hope. She said a few things that stuck out to me. The first was "You are in control of your life. What your momma did does not control your life. What your daddy did does not control your life. You are in control of your life."

That was profound to me. Of course we know that God is our head and is in control of our lives (sinners and saints alike). That goes without saying. What we must also realize is that God does not override our free will. He has a plan for our lives/destiny but our obedience to His plan is our choice. We make the choice as to what we will do with our lives. Our lives, meaning the decisions we make for our lives, are in our control. There is power in every decision that we make.

What decisions are you making that are benefiting your destiny? Are you making choices that are hindering your progress? If so, it is not too late to change those choices. Do you have bad habits that need to be broken? Break them! You are one determined decision away from living your best life. Use your control and LIVE!

As the final credits started to role, I began to cry. Oprah is inspirational to me, however I was shocked that I was moved to the point of tears by the show ending. It was because it signified an end of an era in my life as a viewer. Where else can I get daily "Aha moments?" Lol! I thought about Oprah and the legacy that she leaves behind for daytime television and humanity as a whole: A legacy of giving and teaching.

I now ask you who are reading this: When you leave this earth, what will your legacy be? Will it be that you were a good Christian? Will it be that you were a giver? Will it be that you were mean? What will people not only say but feel about you when you depart this beautiful journey called 'life'?

Each day that you are living, you are leaving a little piece of you in the world. When you finally leave Earth (by death or rapture) all of those little pieces will be composed to one big picture. That big picture is your legacy. Make the determined decision that you will use everyday to build a legacy that you will be grateful, not fearful and embarrassed, to present before God on judgment day. I'm not just referring to a life that is obedient to the Word of God (though that is of the utmost importance). What I am also referring to in addition to righteous living, is a legacy of loving everybody, a legacy of kindness, a legacy of gentleness, a legacy of giving, a legacy of doing good deeds. What impact are you leaving on our world?

It is never too late to build an awesome, loving legacy. I love the quote "People don't care what you know or remember what you say. They care and remember how you made them feel." Be determined to ensure people feel the love of God every time you walk into a room, open your mouth or even cross the mind of someone else. As humans, we know our moods don't always live up to that. I am a witness myself! What is also true is if you don't put your best foot forward, it is wisdom to fix that experience with the person who did not see your best you. If you are a little short with someone or impatient in the moment, go back and fix it. Apologize.

Life is short. Everyday is a day that we cannot get back. EVERYDAY, you are leaving your imprint on the world. When all is said and done, live a life and let your legacy be so that when you stand before God on judgement day, He PROUDLY says "Well Done! You can come on in!"

No comments:

Post a Comment